Friday, September 7, 2007

Knitting both sleeves at once

As a fairly new knitter I read all sorts of brilliant ideas out there in blog-land and think "that's a good idea!" Trouble is, it's an idea - not a darn tutorial. Someone out there said, "I knit both sleeves at once on a Magic Loop so my mistakes will be symmetrical." Brilliant! A method for planning for mistakes!

I'm thinking my LYS goddesses will teach me. Not only had they never heard of such a thing, they thought I was nuts. They are no longer goddesses. The 'net also failed. One lone spot discussed cuff down 2 socks on a single circ, but there were assumptions that I knew way more than I did.

I duked it out with my two balls of yarn and one circular needle and voila - here is my tutorial for novices!

http://knittingobssessions.blogspot.com/2007/09/2-sleeves-or-socks-at-once-on-magic.html

Hope this helps someone. I am just a few rounds from finishing the sleeves. Pictures when they come off the needles!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I, too, figured this out on my own after reading about it somewhere in the blogosphere & would have been happy to share. Although I wouldn't have been able to explain it as beautifully as you did (and with photos!).

I'd always knit two sleeves simultaneously on straights, it only made sense to do them that way on circs. It's such a "Duh" concept, yet you'll rarely find anyone else who's heard of it or attempted it.

Ceylan said...

great tutorial, thanks!!!

amy said...

Thank you so much for creating this tutorial! I knew I wanted to do my sleeves this way, and was just starting to google around to figure out how. This will be a great help! I can't wait to see how your sleeves turn out!

amy said...

Okay, well, I used your tutorial last night to get started on the sleeves. The tutorial was great. I was able to figure out the method just fine. Thanks!! However, I ended up ripping it out after about 5 or 6 rows. When I knit circular, I usually cast on an extra stitch, then knit the last & first stitches together as one to join the round. With magic loop, this doesn't appear to work with the 2nd sleeve. As a result, that sleeve was just pulling too much on the join. It looked awful. I was also bothered by the two balls of yarn tangling up. Maybe I could have figured it out with a little patience, but I'm going to knit the sleeves separately (either magic loop or DPN). I think it will be more relaxing for me!

LifexHistory said...

Great tutorial. I recently found a video for it on knittinghelp.com I think she only recently put it up there.

Ceylan said...

I am currently using this technique to knit my sleeves and although its a bit complicated and took me a while to "get it", I love it! Thanks for putting it together!

Dorothy said...

I LOVE YOU! That would never have happened in my brain in a million years! Excellent!